Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

The best damn Saturday I've had in a while...

It's been a long time since I have had nothing to do on a weekend. No plans. None. Zero. Zilch. Absolutely nothing booked. Not a single thing that I have to do. No guests coming over forcing me to clean. No friends asking me to go out for dinner. No Bluesfest concerts - as fantastic as they were - luring me out to Lebreton Flats on a warm summer's eve. No urgency at work that has to be dealt with before Monday morning.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

It's heaven.

And so, I have spent a simply wonderful day, reconnecting with the things that I love the most. Like Saturday morning walks with the dog. And visiting the farmer's market. And cooking in my kitchen.

Here is simply the best Saturday that I have spent in such a long time, in pictures.

As do most Saturdays, the day started early, with the F-Bomb, in the Arboretum:

Braving the bugs and the long, wet grass
After 90 minutes of running around, time for a break...
Followed by a trip to a couple of local farmers' markets, where we picked up fresh, local produce for dinner.

From Preston Street Farmer's Market, some lovely fresh beets to make a salad:


And from the Main Farmer's Market at St. Paul University, some blueberries to whip up some ice cream:

Ready to go through the ice cream churner!

Where the ice cream magic happens!

Tada!

Then it was off to my favourite yoga spot for my favourite yoga class with my favourite yoga teacher.

Then back home for a pre-dinner drink while I toiled away in my kitchen...

Nothing like a G&T on a hot day...

...while Hubby and Fergus went for a walk. Having the house all to myself, I put on one of my all-time favourite albums, and sang at the top of my lungs...

See, I don't only listen to Bruce Springsteen...

...while I set about getting dinner ready:

Prepping a raw beet salad with feta and pear - thank you Jamie Oliver!

Oops - those peelers are sharp!

Time for a BBQ! Beer can chicken with Moroccan spice rub and baby potatoes

As dinner was cooking, we opened some wine. But not just any wine. A lovely rosé - a Tavel - that we brought back from Chateauneuf du Pape last year. Which screamed out to be paired up with some sweet black olives:

Memories of Provence - olives and rosé. Sigh...

Finally, dinner was ready. Protein, check. Starch, check. Fresh veggies, check. Flavour, check!


Now, time for dessert...


...and a movie or two.


Cheers, all. I hope your Saturday was as fabulous as mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment