Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wellness

Yesterday, I took a "wellness" day. Not to be confused with a sick day, because, well, I wasn't sick. I just needed some quality me-time. So I took a vacation day, left my blackberry sitting on a bookshelf in my home office, and did only things that either make me happy or are good for me.

Like going for a morning run with the Beast. Only this time, because I didn't have to work, we woke up a little bit later and ran a little bit longer. And because it was light outside, we ran through the Arboretum, where he can bounce along off-leash and frolic in the snow. By the time we got home after almost an hour and just under 9k, we were both exhausted but elated at having the opportunity to spend such a fun morning together.

Then, since it was a day off for me, I decided to give the Beast a day off too, so we forewent his daily 15-minute training session, and instead opted to spend a couple of hours lounging around and doing mostly nothing. I wrote a blog post and drank three cups of coffee. He napped, first beside the door, and then on his bed at my feet, where I could hear his gentle snores.

Then I decided to hit a lunch-time yoga class, something I can never do because the office and the yoga studio are not close enough. And while I still can't say that I have an emotional connection to the yoga mat, my body and my mind seem to like this sport. Because it makes my achy muscles just a little less achy and it helps me turn off the monkey chatter in my brain, even if only for a short period.

On the way home, I stopped at Starbucks where I indulged in a full fat latté (they really are more delicious than my usual skinny version). I arrived back at the house to find the Beast still napping. Which seemed like a great idea. Because if there is anything in the world more soul revitalizing than a nap, I just have not found it. So off I went to bed, curled up with my book, where I fell asleep after a few short pages.

By the time I woke up, the afternoon was winding down, so I walked, played with and fed the Beast, and then slipped out with hubby and some friends for a Friday night on the town.

It was, in a nutshell, a perfect day. And I cannot help but conclude that I need more of them.

And as a former colleague of mine noted in response to my Facebook status update about my wellness day, the Beast needs more days like this too. I mean really, this wasn't just a perfect day for me. It was a perfect day for him too! He got to run around off-leash, go farther than he normally does, spend the entire day out of the create, and nap in any number of his favourite spots. Bliss for a dog, I tell you, BLISS!

And so, I have reached a very important conclusion.

I am going to quit my job and be a stay-at-home-wife-and-dog-owner. I'm not doing it for myself. I'm doing it for the Beast. I mean, he deserves this!

Now, anyone have any suggestions of how I can convince my husband that this is a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment